Home Insurance for Columbia, Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC
Including the greater Chesapeake Region
Home Insurance Quote Request
Flood Insurance Quote Request
What is Homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy will insure the home itself and the things you keep in it.
Homeowners insurance is a 'package' policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family may cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered but there are exceptions. The most significant are damage caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. You must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners' responsibility.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That's important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you'd need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what's included and what is not. If you have any questions regarding your coverages give us a call today!
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are few things to discuss with the friendly staff at McFarlin Insurance that influence your decisions:
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (We'll talk you through your home's features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
- Does my insurance carrier have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask us about multiple policy, security system and fire resistance discounts.)
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask us who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
Thank you for your interest in McFarlin Insurance Agency, LLP. Experience the McFarlin customer service for yourself. Please feel free to call our office at (410) 312-7800 or email your questions and an insurance professional will reply promptly.